Electrical damage from Earth Potential Rise EPR costs companies millions of dollars every year
Many electrical engineers are unfamiliar with the phenomenon of earth potential rise. Adequate protection from Earth Potential Rise is more that simply following NEC requirements.
Damage from Earth Potential Rise can occur when a high-voltage difference exists between a earthed cell site such as a cellular BTS (base station transmitter) experiences earth potential rise that is connected to a remote site such as a central teleco office which acts as a remote earth path for the current to follow. This is why proper cell site earthing design is of particular importance to the Teleco industry. The amount of Earth Potential Rise is a function of the amount of earthing electrodes in contact with the soil, soil resistivity and various other factors such as the number of conductors leaving the site.
Equipment damage from Earth Potential Rise (EPR) is usually located at:
- Cellular towers or cell sites (See our Cell Site Earthing Requirements)
- Power substations
- Power generating facilities
- Tall radio towers
Earth Potential Rise Studies
Protect your personnel and equipment from the hazards of operating in high-voltage environments with a detailed Earth Potential Rise study. We offer two types of Earth Potential Rise studies to meet your needs:
The EPR Calculation
The Earth Potential Rise Calculation is typically used to determine site eligibility and Telco T-1 hard-line requirements in high-voltage areas.
The Earth Potential Rise Calculation provide all the data required for:
- T-1 line applications including the total fault current
- Earth Potential Rise EPR voltage
- X/R factor and the 300 volt line.
- All the Earth Potential Rise (EPR) information you will need to get your T-1 lines approved. Fast!
The EPR Study
The premiere engineering service offered by E&S Earthing Solutions is the Earth Potential Rise – EPR Study. This study includes all the information in the standard EPR Calculation, and a full analysis of the Step & Touch Potential Voltages present at your site. Our Earth Potential Rise Study additionally provides all the structural design recommendations needed to eliminate any potential electrical hazards and includes Telco T-1 requirements.
- Site Review of Ground System
- Soil Resistivity Test: Wenner 4 point
- Computer Modeled Ground System Design
- Safety Calculations & Recommendations
- EPR Calculation & Written Report